FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)
Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:38 pm
CFFrost

Originally Posted by jatink129
I have done it once.

I have control over 4 BB accounts. I transferred about $3k from them into my account, because I had to pay off a $6k charge and didn’t want to pay it piece-meal from 3-4 BB accounts.
Anyway, the transfer went off without a hitch.
I paid off 7 CC accounts with no problem whatsoever.

I was left with about $300 in my account and I transferred that into my bank A/C and got a call in a few hours. Thankfully, they didn’t block my account, just wanted to verify if all was good.
They said that they were pleased that I was making good use of my BB account (!!!!!) but they wanted to make sure I was the one who issued the bank transfer.
No questions about the $5k loaded into my account from VR.
No question about about $3k transferred into my account from other BB accounts. But one transfer to my bank and I get “the call”.

Needless to say, I haven’t done that since.

If you were working in the fraud dept, what would be more suspicious to you? The guy who has over $5k coming into his A/C each month FROM VANILLA RELOADS and using that money to pay off bills….OR….the guy who does the same but $2k being withdrawn to his bank account each month?

My take on this is, I’d rather not do ANTHING that would cause my BB account to be shut down…Because later on, it’d be too late.

About the checks…I don’t know either what the banks know or don’t know, but my knowledge is based off what I’ve read, which is- Bluebird checks require pre-authorization, you enter them online before writing the check and then put the authorization number you receive on the front of the check.
So if you made it out to yourself, how would BB know?
And I doubt they are going to pursue EACH check to see where it’s being deposited!
Sounds like this was probably a fraud alert from a combination of transfer between accounts followed by transfer to a bank account. The only other instance of a fraud alert for transfer to bank accounts that I've heard of is someone who had the same account linked to multiple BB accounts (I think it was a joint account linked to both parties BB accounts). I personally have transferred to my bank account numerous times, without any issues.

In any event, both instances that I have read of have indicated that it was a quick fraud alert and the account was quickly cleared. No longterm hold up of money or shutdowns. Certainly not enough to warrant an abandonment of usage of the service.