FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:22 am
arlflyer

Originally Posted by ctbarron
I would guess it has more to do with CVS ordering them in a timely fashion. I'm not sure if this is an automated process within the store, done by a corporate/regional ordering center, etc. The few limited conversations I've had with CVS Managers/Supervisors yielded the following info:

1. 2 stores only re-stock them every two weeks, and at 20 at a time. They claim there is not enough demand.

2. One supervisor (who clearly didn't understand exactly what VR's are) told me they cut back on ordering them after the holidays since "gift card" sales decline after that period.

3. One store stopped selling them all together, again citing weak demand, and switched to other reloadable cards.

I would not extrapolate this limited data across all stores, but I think it provides some insight. I doubt Incomm (VR owner) has any incentive to limit production or distribution, since this would limit sales. No idea what AMEX thinks, but again I doubt they have an incentive to limit distribution if these cards lead to more BB use.

Just my 2 cents.
Interesting points, but still does not seem to add up considering I can walk/drive to literally dozens CVS stores in a 5 mile radius here in DC and find empty racks at every single one of them (sometimes 4 racks). Even if the managers are not particularly sophisticated or have sentiments that the product does not sell, one would think that CVS would have a sufficiently advanced inventory control system to note that this one particular SKU is evaporating within days, if not hours, of restocking!