FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Power outage: how long to make a guest wait before walking them?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:42 pm
milestraveler

Originally Posted by Wyndham Rewards 2
I'm very to hear about your expeirence. Please contact Customer Care who deals with any hotel concerns. Their number is 1-800-449-3716.
I had already done so, and I did so again following this encouragement.

Their answer was that a power outage is outside of the hotel's control and "this is not considered a walk situation".

I can see both sides, but I suspect that most quality hotels would take on the burden on reaccommodating guests. I remain disappointed by Wyndham's resolution of this matter.

While losing mains power is, indeed, likely outside of the hotel's control, it's one of the normal sort of disruptions that befalls hotels from time to time. Sometimes it's a water outage, sometimes power, sometimes labor. Sometimes a previous guest trashes a room and it has to be taken out of inventory. While their timing may be unpredictable, one can reasonably expect these disruptions to happen.

Hotels have many options for managing each of these risks. Some hotels choose to keep a case or two of flashlights at hand. Some hotels choose to have generators. Some choose to have a UPS for the property management system, so they can at least issue keys. And some choose to have manual keys accessible to the staff and take the risk of putting guests in rooms even when they can't immediately process the guests' credit cards. When a hotel manages these risks so poorly that it can't put a guest in a room at all, I think it needs to take on the burden of reaccommodating the guest.