FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Power outage: how long to make a guest wait before walking them?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:07 pm
milestraveler

Power outage: how long to make a guest wait before walking them?

I recently had a reservation at a Wingate by Wyndham and arrived late in the evening during a power outage. The hotel refused to give me a room (they didn't have power for the computer to issue keys and hadn't figured out how to use manual keys to let guests in) and refused to walk me, instead asking me to wait for the power to come back. I was not given any estimate of restoration time.

As context: several other hotels in the area were also without power, some had lost power but had it back up by this point, and others never lost power.

Questions: assuming that there alternate hotels with power (as there were in this case), how long is it reasonable to ask a guest to wait for power restoration before walking the guest? And, as a guest, how long it is reasonable to wait before walking oneself? And lastly, should this be treated as a "walk", with the hotel paying for the alternate room, or is this reasonably beyond the control of the hotel, relieving them of all obligation (other than, perhaps, a refund)?