FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Pasadena Cancels My New Year's StarPoints Stay
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:24 pm
OU812

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Sheraton Pasadena Cancels My New Year's StarPoints Stay

On January 15, 2013 I made a two night reservation at the Sheraton Pasadena using points for December 31, 2013 - January 2, 2014. When I made the reservation, rooms were available for cash @ $299 per night as well as Starpoint awards. This evening I received a message from a manager at the Sheraton Pasadena telling me that my starpoints reservation was cancelled because of a system glitch that allowed me to book using Starpoints, when the hotel was really sold out. No offer of alternative arrangements was made (probably because all of the other major hotels in Pasadena are also sold out!)! We were heading to Pasadena to attend the Tournament of Roses Parade on January 1. I have already secured airline and parade tickets for my family based on what I thought was a confirmed reservation.

According to the message, they were letting me know as soon as possible so that I could make alternative arrangements while there is still plenty of time. Yeah right. The only accommodations available in Pasadena for those two nights are 1 star motels asking $400 per night. The closest Starwood property is the Bonaventure 10 miles away! The whole reason I booked the Sheraton was so we could walk to the parade and wouldn't have to fight LA traffic to get in and out of Pasadena!

In 10 years with SPG, this is my first time using Starpoints and I am not happy at all with the results. Never had any problem using points at Marriott for desirable dates and locations such as the NYC Marriott Marquis on New Year's Eve, Hawaii during Christmas or New Orleans two months ago for the Superbowl!

Anyone have any ideas? Do I have any recourse or am I screwed because I made a reservation using Starpoints and the Sheraton Pasadena would rather have paying guests?

Sorry for the rant!

Regards,

RIP...