FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:55 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gnaget
I think the high end sushi joints are a waste of money. It is a cultish experience. If you watch the movie about Jiro you will see that there is this entourage of freaks led by a so-called food critic (more like chief genuflector) who worship Jiro. It probably also evolved into what it is during the bubble era; hence the high prices.

You know, sushi means sour rice. The fish is only marginally better at the 3* Michelin restaurants. Who bought the prized "New Year" tuna? Zanmai. And this fish was served at a huge loss in the restaurants. What differentiates the top restaurants is the preparation of rice. But I really don't think Jiro's rice is worth a 25,000 yen mark-up for 12 pieces of sushi.

Americans who are looking for "fresh fish" are missing the point of high end sushi. They are trying to find something better than the Korean or Chinese run joint in the local strip mall. Do you think that Zanmai serves old fish? Or that the freshness is a function of price? Why didn't Jiro outbid Kimura-san for the top tuna? (Yes, I know it's a marketing ploy and Jiro doesn't have a spare $1 million to burn. Well, he should based on what he charges.) The standards for fish are very high in Japan across the board.

If you think about it, there is not a huge price differentiation with regard to sashimi, i.e. the raw fish. Obviously, it is served in every izakaya and is not a class of food in of itself. There are not any restaurants that are in the stratosphere price wise because they serve the best sashimi with the freshest or most select fish.

Compare the value for money that you get at a top-rated French restaurant in Tokyo. Or many Japanese kaiseki restaurants. I ate at a French 1* Michelin the other week. The menu was 6000. I am sorry, but this is a better food experience than any sushi, in my opinion. If someone wants to drop 30k yen for a high-end sushi meal then I am not going to stop them. And some people think Scientology is a great thing.

I read an interview with the only gaijin who is involved in the tuna wholesale business in Tsukiji, an Australian. One question was where one should go to get the best tuna. Answer: Zanmai.

Zanmai also has lower level kaiten sushi restaurants. I suppose that could be called fast food.

p.s. I agree with Joe, that you can view any sushi as fast food. Shows you how they have perfected the scam of high end sushi.
I appreciate your point of view - but my reason for eating at Jiro is not for the fish, although tasting fish and rice that makes every American sushi restaurant, quality or not, look like joke is part of the package - the reason for eating at Jiro is to experience, see and taste 30+ years of love, passion and dedication to perfecting the art of one simple thing - raw fish on rice.

How many of us wake up each morning filled with undiluted passion for what we do? I don't think even the Pope does - but from what I understand, the pursuit of total perfection fills Jiro with the passion and dedication to elevate a simple dish into true living art. Not just a slab of raw fish on rice, but honoring each fish whose life was taken for our nourishment by creating a visual, textured and tasteful object to be admired, appreciated and savored.

I've had pretty good tasting sushi in the US, but I'm sure the sushi at Zanmai will be a whole new world - but it won't be the same as eating a piece of sushi which is a handcrafted gift from someone who has dedicated their entire life to perfect it.

His personality and view about non-Japanese (regulars) invading his restaurant in just a side note and won't sully my experience. Wagner was a nasty, disgusting, racist pig, yet millions passionately soak up his music every day.

The trick will be to get a reservation now for a visit in late May, and be able to get a seat at his main restaurant to be served by Jiro - that is a feat I might not be able to pull off, and if it doesn't happen and we end up at Roppongi, it still won't be a disappointment.