FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:19 pm
edy4eva

Another unsurprising enhancement to our beloved Skywards. I could just picture an EK-QF integration meeting with a lot of arm waving. Someone in QF said a short while ago that the most generous features of the two programmes will be retained. Contrary to that statement, all we see is EK doing a lot of alignment of their benefits with QFF:
- Introduction of Platinum tier (destined to happen regardless but had been rumoured for half a decade!)
- Earn and burn rates for itineraries starting in Australia, very similar to what QFF has in store.
- Restricting F reward availability to a point where it's ridiculous. Something that I find reminiscent of QF's protective practice.
- Introduction of QF-style hefty fuel fines on reward tickets.

Australia is mega lucrative for EK. Getting in bed with QF makes it even more so. But what does it mean to the end customer?
I contended a while back that it will translate into higher fares, but didn't foresee less FF benefits (discounting the Plat tier which had been in the pipeworks).

Last week a friend asked me to book her a round trip to CAI ex-MEL. The natural choice had been EK, followed by EY, SQ and QR. Would you like to guess which one was the dearest? EK, pricing at almost 3k for a round trip in economy (that's 4 months out by the way) with QF offering the same flights for almost 500 dollars less. The cheapest was SQ but at $2200 without mileage accrual and 3 frequencies a week that translates into very poor value. EY and QR were all in between.

Whoever is working out the Supply/Demand curve at EK must be doing a terrific job. Must not forgot though that the gentlemen's agreement among the airlines is also doing wonders.