FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA, AC, LH; LH FRA Labor action: IRROPS?, UA/AC responsible?, refund?, compensation?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:04 am
Eadward

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
UA, AC, LH; LH FRA Labor action: IRROPS?, UA/AC responsible?, refund?, compensation?

so... on 3/20 I'm at YYZ trying to check into AC 872 to FRA and then AC 9071 to AMS. AC 9071 is really codeshared LH 988, LH metal -- and it turns out LH is on strike at FRA.

so... the AC exec first check in lady gives my full J class ticket to FRA but says the onward flight is cancelled and they don't have a way to get me to AMS, and perhaps I could look into taking a train.

so... I'm like "I need to get to AMS, get me another route to AMS". And she's like "I'm sorry but I can't do that as you booked this through United [I did - to get United miles] you need to go to United".

so... I go to United check in and they tell me they can't touch the ticket, only AC can. I do a bit of a DYKWIA and say, but I'm GS, can't you help me, and the United check in manager lady says that's great you can call the GS hotline then. She also says this is not an IRROPS since its a codeshared carrier's labor dispute, and they have no responsibility for that. They assume no responsibility and won't help and won't call anyone. By the way there were two check in people on duty and no other customers there.

so... I go back to AC and (after a very long wait in line) they continue to refuse to modify the ticket with another route. She calls several people and they all tell her they can't help me. I say I booked an AC ticket to AMS and they need to get me there. She says its not their problem, its LH and if I have a problem I should go talk to LH. (Like this would do anything, and there were hundreds of people in front of LH dealing with their own miseries.)

so... at this point, I say, ok, just book me a brand new ticket on another route to get me to AMS, which she does, through LHR then on BA to AMS. But this is a same day new full J at a higher price. I say I shouldn't have to pay that since its not my fault, they couldn't get me where I wanted to, and she says there is nothing she can do about it.

so... I go on my way and eventually get to AMS.

so... now I have questions...

Is the LH action an IRROPS?

Who should have fixed my original ticket to get a new route to AMS, UA or AC?

Is this how shoddy UA and AC treat a GS on a full J fare?

If you book something as codeshare does that give both carriers the right to refuse service and/or provide shoddy service?

How do I get refunded back to my original ticket cost?

Does this deserve compensation, and if so what from whom?

What say you FT?