FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Offload baggage fee
View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:04 am
Ianc2003

Offload baggage fee

I have recently fallen foul of a rule that requires a payment of 275 euros per bag to retrieve my two bags from Amsterdam airport, when I wanted to break my flight in ams rather than fly to LHR.

On a flight from muscat with KLM, ticketed to LHR, I requested my luggage be tagged to ams only as I had made alternate plans for my trip. This was the return leg of a London to muscat KLM flight. At muscat I was told I needed to buy another ticket if I only wanted to fly to ams. At that late stage the cost was prohibitive, so I decided to continue my journey and ask for my bags at ams.

I was told in the ams lounge that the cost to search for my bags would be 275 euros. As this was only slightly more than the cost of a flight from London to geneva, my intended destination, due to the hassle involved I decided to pay this to get my bags back

After a lot of run around to recover my bags I ended up at the ticket desk, where I was charged 275 each person for the luggage recover! By now it was too late to go with the bags to London, so other than abandoning the luggage I had no choice but pay 550 euros , to get my luggage.

Does anyone know if there is a way of recovering this cost, or what other options would be availabile if you want to break your journey on a return section in future?