FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applause Outstanding Service Excellence Employee Recognition Certs / Chits
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:56 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As skylady is an AA Flight Attendant, I suspect she knows the value better than we do.

At one time the SOS certificates (predate the current "Applause" chits) did have value, and significant value at that. A coupon can be enhanced by some words on it indicating why, etc. but they merely enter one into a sweepstakes and presumably impact the employee's file - but I think an effort to use the webform or paper and write a compliment may have even more value. The Applause chit is better than nothing - but if you take time to provide verbal positive feedback, you will probably get the same appreciative looks and surprise, because it seems many of us either don't know how to do that, or we are in such a hurry we fail to.

I also suggest handing out Applause coupons when you board debases the purpose of the coupon - it is to acknowledge good service, not a bribe, which it might appear to be to some (much like a good tip to a good server vs. a fifty to the maitre d'hotel). You can always speak to an FA or pass her / him a note saying something about your mum's situation - that is usually a good incentive and will probably result in your mum getting some extra attention.

Originally Posted by yyzgayguy
Not sure I agree. I've handed 4 out in the last few months. Employees appreciate them because they're tracked. If they have a direct monetary value, or a "virtual" value (count as specific points in an internal scheme) I don't know. But when I hand them over, I see genuine surprise and gratitude.

Soon, I'm taking my elderly mother on her first high-class trip. Flying in J on the new plane overseas, it'll be a special trip, maybe her last. I'll hand out AApplause coupons when I board.