FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand South Island (Milford Track and Sound, Abel Tasman, and more)
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:18 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What - no kea pictures? Honestly, your superb pictures do great justice to New Zealand, as does this report. It was nice to see McKinnon Pass under better conditions. When I hiked the Milford back in 1984, we enjoyed a beautiful first day followed by nothing but rain for the rest of the trip. Climbing up and over McKinnon we were lashed by driving rain and 60 mph winds. Down in the valley, the Ada river had risen to the point where we were walking through waist deep water in parts of the track. Still, it was a great walk and your beautifully photographed report has been a nice stroll down memory lane.

I never did do the Abel Tasman - even back in the 80s and 90s it was a very busy track. Instead a did the Heaphy and Nelson Lakes tracks as well as all the ones out of Queenstown. I understand the Routebourn is reservation only now. I used to practically commute to Milford on that track. I knew all the hut wardens, most of whom brewed their own beer!