FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread]
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:00 am
bokeyes23

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Marriott Platinum, Southwest RR
EASY Choice between Hotels JW Santa Monica or MDR Ritz: Not Even Comparable

I must say that I really appreciate all the advice and sharing of the room photo's, but my experience was not anywhere near comparable. The views for all rooms except the room you took a picture from are COMPLETELY obstructed, I could see a sliver of ocean and sand and definitely not the Pier, which was my hope. We were upgraded to a room with a nice balcony, but the hotel is no where NEAR category 8 expectations.

Let me preface this summary with the fact I HAD to stay at the Ritz Carlton Marina Del Ray my last night of the trip after choosing this hotel for my family for 5 nights, I waited a week to post this response hoping I would regret my decision less, I do not.

Dated, albeit not to badly, are the rooms and hotel. The sink didn't drain well in the room, not to bad, but taking a shower in a pool of my own filth since the drain didn't work= gross. The sink in the spa was no better, over 1 minute to drain after minimal use, so it seemed to be systemic in nature. The outdoor pool are felt dated as well, especially the walking area to beach from the pool, rusted, cracking tile, old. I understand nature's tole, but category 8= high expectations in maintenance and quality.

The Spa was sub par at best; I love steam rooms and this one was an older, dingy steam room. When I asked for eucalyptus I was told it was automatic and they couldn't add it but would look into it. This happened about 8 times in 5 days, one time during the evening a worker did make more eucalyptus come out when the steam did, but that was 1 time in 8 days at a category 8 hotel. The staff just wasn't the caliber I would expect at a Spa so highly touted. The facility was a Groupon gone bad caliber IMO, I have never paid for a spa that bad. I did go to a Spa in Anaheim Hills later in the week, amazingly nicer in quality and had no hotel affiliation.

The breakfast certificate is for $16.95 for toast, oatmeal, juice and yogurt I believe, or what is called the continental breakfast, the $15 pancakes could be another options. Obviously prices are higher in Santa Monica so this was expected. Quality was no better though, less then local breakfast downtown at 1/3 the price.

The location of the hotel is ok, but you can't see anything from the balcony unless you are the lucky 1 maybe 2 rooms that still have a view of the pier. It is Santa Monica so noisy car traffic when relaxing on balcony, and walking around the area you realize how close to Venice and how dirty everything is. Not the fun atmosphere I was expecting. Wife and Family were not impressed or happy with the choice, I would rather have stayed in Fullerton at the Marriott for 40,000 points, those rooms are comparable to these. ( this cost 160,000 points for comparison). I couldn't see the ocean from the room really or hear it, so location didn't do much for me, perhaps more traffic, dirtier and higher parking cost.

The Marina Del Ray Ritz was beautiful, everything I would expect from a a top notch hotel, undoubtedly better in every aspect from the JW. I choose the JW for the pier, beach, kids swings/park by hotel, proximity to downtown LA, category 8, steam room/spa, ambiance I was hoping for. The Ritz put me in a much larger room with separate shower and tub, with a great view of the marina, balcony a very small one, but great views, could see LA, the Marina, the Mountains everything. The hotel had a wonderful pool, huge hot tub, yoga grass area, tennis courts, basketball court (would have sold me there), quite, spectacular property, great service. Short drive to Santa Monica if you want to see the pier or spend the day, so much cleaner I can't describe, so much quieter it was amazing. I would highly encourage anyone considering the 2 choices like I did, please do not even consider the JW, it has no advantage I am aware of over the Ritz in terms of the property, the hotel is sub par for a nice Marriott, let a lone a JW.

I only put this in short, blunt terms in order to save someone the agony and time considering staying at the JW. You might like it, say its ok, and enjoy ignoring the things I mentioned. Or go to the MDR Ritz, get what you pay for, relax and have a great property and hotel at your disposal. FYI public parking directly across the street from RITZ for $8 day too

I did park on the street in Santa Monica for free most nights and in the City parking garage about 2 blocks away for $5 day. Bruno's Italian down the street is GREAT, had about 3 meals there and all were amazing with great prices. Home cooked meal can't beat it! Right by the pier fyi on Ocean Ave.

I also stayed at a Residence Inn in Anaheim Hills which I would prefer over the JW, views of the mountain were great, room was decent and came with $65 spa credit at local hot springs ( all better the JW facilities) and a Residence inn in Costa Mesa, I would stay at the JW over that one though

I had pics of the Ritz views, but deleted them after thinking its not worth showing the Mrs. what I didn't pick over the JW. The ones of my balcony at JW have family in them so won;t post, but the pic above is a great example of the possible room you have a very slim chance of getting! otherwise just picture a huge white building where the ocean is and more of the hotel where the pier is, the sky looks the same though!