FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyertalk, travels, etc thru the "eyes" of a FTer having Stage 4 cancer (Part 1 of 4)
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:46 am
chemist661
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by tom911
Was that with a railpass? Did you do any shift trades in there? The folks I worked with survived on shift trades just to get longer weekends.
I bought a 8 day BritRail pass and really maxed out that pass. I went to York, Edinburgh, Iverness, William/Oben & Isle of Skye plus in/out of London. I went during Thanksgiving and the weather that year was unusually warm. One place in Scotland was over 70 F and the usual weather was snow!!!

For that job at the hazmat site, there was little flexibility since everyone had a fixed day off. Mine happened to be on Monday and no one wanted to trade. One reason I left!! Sat-Mon for interviews were good enough for my needs. I worked at a small lab at a hazmat site and everyone knew other people's business so I kept things (job hunting ) discrete at the time. The average tenure of a new chemist was 6 months and I stayed 3.5 yrs. I rose to #3 out of 12 chemists/lab techs at the lab. I was wise to leave in early 1993 as 1.5 years later, the hazmat site went from 240 people to 70. Most of the lab people got crappy buyouts due to their short tenure. My trusted coworker told me what went down.

I was well past probation at my new govt job and never looked back!!! I still work there!