FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyertalk, travels, etc thru the "eyes" of a FTer having Stage 4 cancer (Part 1 of 4)
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:19 pm
chemist661
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
FT, travels,etc thru the "eyes" of a FTer having Stage 4 cancer (part 4 of 4)

Summer/Fall 2011: I had the first stages of cancer but I didn't realize it. I was flying all over when I wasn't managing 4 rental houses 90 miles away, working full time, being married & doing lots of cheap, fun traveling!!!

To be brief, I had HMO insurance (I could write a "book" on my dislike of HMO's and the horrible insurance experiences but I will spare the details in this thread---you can find throughout FT where I wrote bits & pieces on my horrible HMO!!). I have PPO for 2013 and my medical care has been superb for 2013.

From July 2011 to Sept 2011, I went to urgent care 2x & my primary care Dr 2x. They told me I just had a fungus & I took more trips. (Austria/Germany/Switzerland, Hawaii, long weekends around the USA, etc)It took a 80 yr old local Dentist on in mid Oct 2011 to raise suspension of tongue cancer and referred to a dental oral surgeon. I paid cash for his opinion (<$100 as I was maxed out on the dental side) and got a referral to an ENT (neck surgeon). 9 days later, my biopsy of my tongue confirmed it was cancer. There was fungus under the tongue but as I found out the Dr's missed the cancer part of the tongue.

I was in alot of pain so I worked at my job as long as possible. I took OTC pain pills during the day and narcotic pain pills when I wasn't driving to/from work. I LOVED my job and I had the wisdom to work as long as possible to preserve my sick/vacation time. I wanted to work and got the OK to work a lighter workload due to my pain. I can manage pain very well and I worked until days before my Dec 22, 2011 head/neck surgery.

To not write a book, I will post a timeline of events of cancer & travels.

Dec 22, 2011: Head/neck surgery (15 hrs!). 2 week hospital stay.
Jan/Feb 2012: recovery from surgery.
March/April 2012: Chemo (round 1) and head/neck radiation--35x.
May 2012 (mid): went back to work full time
July 2012: PET Scan showed 2 cm spot in rt lung
Sept 2012*: Lung biopsy on 9/23/12. *delay due to HMO! & bad Oncologist
December 2012: Worked to 12/17/12. 1st chemo (round 2), rt hip/rt leg radiation
Dec 2012/Jan 2013: 7 day hospital stay due to pneumonia.
Jan 2013-late Feb 2013: Chemo #2 & 3.
March 2013: Hip fracture in San Diego (100 miles from home). Hospital stay 3/2 to 3/11. I was one of 2 out of 500 hip fracture cases that went from hospital direct to home w/o rehab. The other person was an athlete in his 20's and I will turn 55 in June.

I did alot of travels in spite of my cancer. During my cancer, I flew alot on award tickets to visit relatives in Michigan. I was cleared by the Doctors to attend the Chicago Seminars in 2011 & 2012. Although being Plat/Exec Plat on AA was excellent, my recent focus is getting better so I can travel again. Even with cancer and my setbacks along the way, I remain positive. Always have, alway will remain positive.

There were times that my Doctors told my wife I may not live very long (negative prognosis) but so far I kept active whenever possible!! When I injured my hip on 3/2, I walked over a mile from the Amtrak station to the hotel in DT San Diego. I injured my hip after resting for over an hour at the hotel. I fell going out walking 3 blocks for lunch.

I was on the path to recovery with keeping active and the Dr cleared me to fly in the 2nd/3rd weeks of chemo (round 2--Feb 2011). I was being cautious and haven't flown yet.

My hip injury on 3/2 is just another setback. I have my next chemo on on 3/25/13 (Monday) and only 4 more weeks until my hip heals up. I am doing as well as possible.

I am taking advantage of being on FT (and other blogs, etc) alot since I am not being able to drive and having to mostly stay at home. (Note: I do get out a few times to do necessary erands--ATM deposits, etc). I now have the best insurance my employer has and it cost us some $. Well worth it to keep me alive!!!

I have explored other threads (Milebuzz Mfg spend), CC threads, etc. I have learned from FT, MP & the various blogs on getting rewards from CC signups. for the time being, that has been my focus. Of course, my #1 focus is for my health!!!

I enjoy FT and reading other threads have been educational. I have tried to post what I know in other areas. (credit, Southwest CP by CC signups so my wife can travel w/me for free--SWA meet our short term needs as I may not be able to take transcons just yet!).

Bottom line: In spite of my advanced stages of cancer, my journey (travels, life, etc) have been alot of fun. FT taught me how to travel for very cheap/free. Attending the various DO's, travelling around the world for next to nothing, going in intl Biz/F has been superb!! I hope to "lick" this cancer by chemotherapy and be able to take to the skies again and see more of the world. I am a "born again" Christian and I am at peace. For me, my positive attitude comes from my faith. I have never put anyone down because of religion/politics. Never had put anyone down to my knowledge. (Note: If I had put someone down by mistake, I apologize in advance--not intentional!!) On FT, the wide variety of topics talked about is where it is at. For this old timer on FT, I became much informed about travels, plus other areas and for that I am thankful!!!

I hope you enjoy reading about my life's journey and I am praying I will have alot more time to enjoy my remaining time on this earth. I am hoping to read alot more FT in my future!!!

Thank you for reading my trip report series!!!

Last edited by chemist661; Mar 20, 2013 at 12:18 am Reason: finish trip report