FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:51 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
14. For those flying the only nonstop between Birmingham and Orlando, both the airline and the aircraft it operated were surprising. Identify both.

Well, I was tempted to say Florida Express with BAC One-Eleven service. However.... I believe by May 15, 1988, Florida Express had been acquired by the second version of Braniff. So perhaps Braniff II was flying BHM-MCO nonstop with the BAC One-Eleven. And the service may have actually been operated by "Braniff Express".....

jlemon, you da man! It was indeed Braniff. Had you flown on this flight, you might have flown aboard a BAC-111 that started out with Braniff, went on to serve Allegheny and Florida Express before returning to Braniff II.

16. This airline operated Convair 580s between Phoenix and San Diego

Here's a wild guess: American Eagle

The schedule sez Resort Commuter Airlines, airline code XK, but as to it's affiliation with American, I'm a bit confused. Below is a link to an LA Times article that claims the airline was acquired by American in 1987 but operated on behalf of Pan Am Commuter for its final two years, culminating in bankruptcy in 1989...

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-11-...rican-airlines