FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:25 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
F/Y/K fare classes

These came along in the 1960s and always seemed to be associated with the Hawaii routes from the US mainland. I understand there was no catering (something which US carriers seem to have gone back to ). However, I believe the first such route was New York to San Juan, in 1960, when Pan Am had just introduced 707s with the normal F/Y seating, but also still operated DC-6Bs on some flights which were at a lower fare than on the jets, giving three fare classes. Subsequently these passengers were accommodated at the back of the 707s instead of having separate aircraft.

I've sometimes wondered why Y is called Coach in the USA but Economy in the rest of the world

1947-2007 AIR FRANCE CELEBRATES 60 YEARS
Wally, the only type that seems missing from the list here of Air France Caribbean aircraft types is the DC4, which operated there for many years for most of the 1950s and well into the 1960s. Air France had a large and longstanding DC4 fleet back home, they lasted until about 1976 in the fleet, way after most other mainstream carriers had got rid of them, latterly they operated the overnight internal Air Mail services within France which Air France ran. I presume they were finally done in by the oil price increases of 1974.