FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:20 pm
yerffej201

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Looking at the blogoshpere from the outside in, having just learned a lot more about affiliate links in this thread, it seems pretty clear that there are lots and lots of folks who are more interested in making money than pursuing their travel/points and miles passion. It would be interesting to see what would happen if affiliate programs disappeared tomorrow....how many of the hundreds of points and miles blogs would simply disappear? I suspect most.

I know I am naively anachronistic, but I do find the money-motivation aspect of what used to be a pure altruistic sharing of information to be depressing. I guess that just proves that I am turning into a cranky old man...HEY! GET OFF MY LAWN! Sadder still that it was Randy, that good old hippie, who sold our commune to evil corporate developers. Not that I blame him, mind you. To the contrary. But that certainly drove a lot of the notion that there was gold to be mined from providing services to the points and miles community.

I also blame Tim Ferris...obviously a lot of the current crop of bloggers picked up his book at the airport and are trying to put it to practice.

Oh well, FlyerTalk is still here for those of us who don't care for free information being re-packaged and sold for a price.

For the rest, did you know that INK Bold has no foreign transaction fee!? Sign up TODAY! Or at least pay to come to my seminar so I can tell you more about how you should use my affiliate program!

Step right up! Get 'em while they're hot!
I still don't like why links are so bad though. If you want to read those link posts that are junk, whatever. Not my problem.

Why is everyone here is concerned with the repackaging of "information" into a link post like JSteele? If you don't like it don't read it. If the readers are stupid enough to think it's good stuff and into clicking that's their problem.

Obviously the market will shrink once the links go away, but that's another story.