FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 9th Circuit Appeals Court: 4th Amendment Applies At The Border
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:04 am
cottonmather0

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Does it bother anyone else that a US citizen is subject to a criminal records check when he tries to re-enter his own country?

Further, I assume the criminal check is done at the immigration counter. So then how is that info communicated to the Customs agent responsible for searching his luggage? Does the immigration agent put a red "X" (or maybe an "XXX") on his CBP declaration? Do they call over an customs inspector and say, "This one's a convicted pervert. Give him the rubber-glove search!"?

It's great that the courts decided this, but this little glimpse under the covers raises even more questions for me.

It bothers me, but it's not at all surprising. If a policeman pulls you over - for anything - they run your license plate and look for warrants without ever actually talking to you first. In many ways, CBP is like a traffic stop. It's just what happens.

Used to be, borders weren't enforced at all. Now it's just another part of the police state.