FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Ticket Drama: Downgraded from OZ F to UA J (and MUCH more)!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:27 pm
ariyo15

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Award Ticket Drama: Downgraded from OZ F to UA J (and MUCH more)!

Not quite sure how to handle this one, given how overwhelming it was. I have an idea of what I'd like to get back in terms of compensation, but hopefully y'all here can help shed some light on this...

To avoida 10-page OP, I'll just post the "highlights" here:
1) US' site randomly dropped one OZ segment off of my online reservation and one SQ flight on my wife's, despite all seats still being confirmed/valid (according to the operating carriers - I had called them once I noticed the discrepancy)
2) US agent called me a few days later informing me of a schedule change. I said I noticed some weird stuff on my online itinerary, but said I had spoken to OZ and SQ and they said (a) there were no time changes and (b) that my seats were still good. Seems the message didn't get through, as (i noticed two days later) the agent changed my reservation after I specifically asked her not to. What was the change? See numbers 3 and 4!
3) Being downgraded from Asiana to United
4) Being downgraded from First to Business
5) Not having anything to eat for nearly 10 hours. This is because I had confirmed a kosher meal on OZ, but when US moved me to UA they forgot to move my meal.
6) Being forced to switch flights (SFO-YVR instead of SFO-PHX-YVR). The US flight (SFO-PHX) flight was a tad late, but still - with a 40-minute connection - we could have made the flight. Instead, we had to leave the terminal , head to AC ticket counter and reclear the int'l terminal security. And after all that, despite having confirmed first on the US legs....
7) Wewere downgraded from First to Coach on the AC flight.
8) Then, to add insult to injury, my baggage was lost at YVR - well it was actually in PHX - thanks to not being properly transferred to the AC flight (despite being promised it would be).

So? What is fair compensation? Obviously it was an award ticket. We each paid 140k in F (US-Sout Pacific), for those wondering.