FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lightest carry-on bag
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:19 am
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by freecia
@chollie - You might be interested in laplap's post "4 wheeler soft cabin bag (55x35x20cm) is actually 55x37.5x23.5cm"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-luggage.html
Thanks for that link.

I had started following that thread, but dropped out when I was traveling.

I'm still only interested in 2-wheeled bags at this point and sadly, laplap didn't comment on the bag's durability.

I really like product reviews, but at the same time, sometimes it's a problem when there are good but inadequate reviews ("I haven't actually used this product yet, but I just opened it and....") or negative reviews (there was one criticizing the Lipault quality - part of the handle broke on its first outing).

I'm looking for 2-wheel lightweight 22". My current bags have really taken a beating - it's the way I travel. Cobblestones, heavy loads (usually books), used as hand carts to tote heavy 'personal item' bags. I'm currently keeping an eye on an Osprey that looks like it would be sturdy enough for the job, although it has a single handle. I'm concerned that a single handle might be awkward or function poorly for carrying a second bag on top.

I'm also interested in a lighter function lightweight carry-on. I still want a degree of quality in case the bag has to be checked on an intra-Europe flight. I have to have two wheels, and the bag will almost certainly still be hauled over cobble-stones and in/out of trains and subways. The Lipault looks like it might be up to this task, but I want feedback from folks who have actually used it for this.

I saw a very lightweight, off-brand bag recently. Price was great, quality seemed OK until...I noticed that one wheel was at a slight angle. It appears that the wheel axles are poor quality - it certainly shouldn't be damaged just from being shipped and put on a store shelf! A favorite bag of my sister's just lost the outer ring of one wheel (still functions OK, a bit like driving a car with a flat tire and riding on the rim - it makes an ear-splitting screech whenever she turns sharply or comes to a stop). I'm worried about this type of quality issue.

Finally, I'm in the low end of the budget range.