FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:40 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
...However, Sheraton cannot convert their kitchens to serve such food solely on a high freshness level: the margins are thin for the traditional breakfast, so they earn on volume. Sheraton needs to charge a premium for their ambience cost, and if low margin diners eat and don't leave (cos of good ambience), then they do not get the turnover (and hence not the volume of diners as well).

It would be really nice if I can enjoy such great traditional breakfast at Sheraton settings. Perhaps the chefs at Sheraton can think a way around it to ensure great quality control, despite the lower volume. @:-)
The thing is, I think the main buffet downstairs has some of these items, so the selections which are a little more shelf stable (ie, sticky rice with pork sung, fried breads) could be prepared downstairs and brought up to the lounge, even in smaller portion sizes.

I just felt the lounge breakfast was too 'western focused' and didn't really highlight any of the unique breakfast traditions of Taiwan. It's been almost a year, but I'm trying to remember if the Westin lounge had more local options - I think they had a few.

The W is more of a brunch buffet (and free to Plat guests), and the offerings there tend to be local, but more lunch and less breakfast centric.

However I do agree that every visitor should make an effort to go outside and try as much local food traditions as possible - the lounge is really more of a convenience or quick-stop breakfast spot.