FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:27 pm
mczlaw

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
I'm doubtful the flights to Canada would ever triple-beep. From the PreCheck FAQ:

Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?

A. No. At this time, TSA Pre✓™ is only available for passengers traveling domestically on participating airlines. If any leg of an itinerary is international, the passenger will not qualify for TSA Pre✓™ for that itinerary and will go through traditional screening.
Someone want to take a crack at the rationale for this rule? Or is purely arbitrary?

If I'm headed to country A [a nice safe western democracy] from PDX via LAX, why would I pose any higher degree of risk for TSA purposes than the person who is simply flying PDX-LAX?

Not only that, but if I were intent on circumventing this stupidity so I can take advantage of Precheck, how hard would it be to book my int'l itin from the gateway city and the domestic segments separately. And of course, if I were a real America-hating scoundrel, I would naturally do it this way and conceal my ultimate int'l destination in country X (evil authoritarian regime).

So, what am I missing here?

--mcz