FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Redeeming with DC was so much easier
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:06 am
bertheike

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
As much as I feel I am doing the dirty on bmi by defending the EC vs DC, it should also be remembered that it is actually quite easy to earn Avios, especially if you are UK based. For a start as a Silver or Gold you earn a 100% mileage bonus on BA/AA/IB which compares to only 25% or 35% on bmi. You also have the Tesco avenue and various other ways to earn good miles. Certainly I've earned far more miles with EC than I would have done with DC for the same activity since I moved over.

Availability is another issue but a bit of flexibility goes a long way here.
??? ???
as a BD gold + 52k I got 625% on any paid A/P/F fare ! TG/LH/LX/NH
as BD gold I would get 250 % including status bonus !
I also never had a problem to book 4 or even 5 flights on the same aircraft in business award ! mostly on TG, but also on LH and LX.
An now tell me how I can come for the same costs with EC to Thailand and onward ?
FRA-BKK-KTM 18.750 miles + 125 cash
CPH/ARN-BKK-HKG 18.750 + 125 cash
DUS-CPH/ARN-HKT-BKK-KTM 18.750 + 125 cash
on the CPH/ARN flights i even sit in "F" for the price of "C" in TG !

Now my choice is FRA/CDG - KUL for 60k ( more than 3 times more ) + I have to buy KUL-BKK/HKT with Air Asia
or
FRA-HKG on CX for the same miles 60k , but even higher cost to get to BKK/HKT
BA never has availability in award business class to BKK and also never cheap T/W class fares to upgrade from.