FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:08 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sink
Although this place is good, but IMHO, it is not worth the wait (especially if the line is down the stairs (this place is located on the second floor). Lots of tourist (Hong Kong, Japan and chinese from US/Canada). Furthermore, you must really like the simplicity of this "northern" style breakfast (the opposite of the cantonese styled dim sum). For me, I prefer either dim sum or porridge with lots of side dishes.
The simplicity is what makes it good - and this is really the Taiwanese style vs the HK style of dim sum which is heavier - but in the end, it's up to the poster with the question. I wouldn't look for dim sum in TPE (I'd do that in HK) unless I really had a craving for it, but if someone wants a traditional Taiwanese breakfast, this is the style and place.

I've had the TW style breakfast from a local place on a side lane in a produce district, but that experience is not really best for a tourist unless they speak Mandarin and know what to order.

Having said that, I wish the Sheraton's lounge breakfast had more variety to include a couple of dumpling baskets. I had the breakfast at the Novotel TPE restaurant, and while that place was 10 times the size of the Sheraton lounge, I even had 'do it yourself' Gua Bao - so a little more focus on traditional dishes would be a nice touch at the Sheraton.

A little off topic, but I made the effort to try the dim sum at Tim Ho Wan in HK - even my friend who lived in HK never had a chance to try it, but we went there and discovered the system - get a ticket, come back in 4 hours, then get a priority number, then get in line and maybe get a table in some unknown future timeframe if we're lucky - no thanks, so we passed, Michelin star and all, and bought street food from a vendor.

Last edited by bocastephen; Feb 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm