FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:17 am
redtop43

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
MoveUp Mid-Trip

Just wanted to see if anyone has thoughts or advice. I think I posted a similar but not identical thread a couple weeks ago.

I am flying BDA-RDU regularly. I often try to fly BDA-PHL-CLT-RDU to get an extra segment to requalify for gold. The BDA-PHL flight arrives at 4:24. There are departures to CLT at 5:20 (connecting at 8:03) and 6:35 (connecting at 10:40). I cannot book the 5:20 because there is a 70-minimum minimum connection time in PHL, apparently because BDA is an international destination - but you clear customs in BDA, so it's really like domestic. Note, I am often checking bags.

First, I assume that I wouldn't be able to change the flght in BDA. When I get to the airport, they know what time the plane will arrive, and it's not like there is ever a traffic jam getting out, so they would know if I'm getting to PHL on time. If we leave for PHL on time I'm going to be 99% to be able to make the 5:20, but I still don't think they even could do it if they wanted to - right?

So the second part of the question, is there likely to be any problem changing to the 5:20 if I'm at the gate in time? Will they put me on the 5:20 even if the 8:03 connection is full, assuming I can stand by for that and take my original 10:40 if needed?

There's a good chance it won't work anyway, because that 5:20 is often full, I think the 8:03 is too, and I may be unlikely to give up a good seat on the 6:35 anyway if I'm likely to just be trading a wait in PHL for one in CLT.

Will the checked bag complicate things? I check a bag about half the time, and I can probably avoid checking a bag on trips I might try to MoveUp on.

Ancillary note, that doesn't affect me at all - they really should extend MoveUp beyond 6 hours in cases where there IS no early flight within 6 hours, like those involving redeyes.