FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:01 am
SEA1K4EVR

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by drewguy
I thought the stated standard was:
1) Any felony
2) A misdemeanor in the past 10 years.

It is also clear that customs violations also likely result in rejection, as does a failure to disclose any crime.

Based on this, a misdemeanor 3 years ago means rejection is likely.
Yes I would agree... but the good news is that in Washington state you can have a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor (with some exceptions) vacated after 3 years if certain criteria are met. My friend has met all the criteria so before applying for GE he's going to go through that process and have his negligent driving conviction vacated. Then he can answer the "have you ever been convicted" question "no" on the GE application.

I thought I'd post this info in case it's helpful for someone else.

This paragraph is taken from the Washington state courts instructions on how to get a conviction vacated:

"Vacation of a conviction releases you from all penalties and disabilities resulting from the offense. Once a conviction is vacated, the fact that you have been convicted of the offense shall not be included in your criminal history for purposes of determining a sentence in any subsequent conviction. For all purposes, including responding to questions on employment or housing applications, a person whose conviction has been vacated may state that he or she has never been convicted of that crime. Vacation of a conviction, however, does not affect or prevent use of the conviction in a later criminal prosecution."