FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - An article about FA life on Asian airliners
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:21 pm
invisible

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Continuation of the story with interesting revelations

Part 2: Dealing with passengers from hell

Couple quotes:
In his almost decade long career as a flight steward, Rick has done everything from warming up milk in an ice bucket while balancing a screaming baby on his hip, to chasing couples hoping to join the mile-high club out of plane toilets.
Certain Asian passengers, for example, are commonly known for being blatantly disrespectful to stewardesses. “These men just yank at my skirt when I am distributing snacks or drinks. Once they pulled so hard at my colleague’s skirt she nearly fell down, and they laughed,”
Things get ugly quickly – many drunk passengers start to slur and use rude languages to harass flight crew who deny them more alcohol, or vomit on themselves and their neighbors, creating a scene and disturbing their fellow passengers.
Frank said that in worst case scenarios, if the passenger starts getting violent or verbally abusive, the crew leads him or her away to the back of the plane, where they try to isolate and sober up the person up. If they can’t control him, plastic flexi-cuffs are used to attach the passenger to male crew members, who stay with him for the rest of the journey until the plane touches down.
Hm. I thought that the behavior described above was a prime feature of air travel to/from Russia (Aeroflot and other Russian airliners have database of more than 2000 people who become drunk before or during the flight and started fights with other passengers or crew members) but apparently situation happens quite often in Asian airliners too...

Have not heard a single case like this in States last 10 years since 9/11. Last news story I remember was about a couple years ago when one agitated woman threw a coffee to a flight attendant. She ended up in jail for 6 month and lost custody of her two kids as a result.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 21, 2013 at 7:35 pm