FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What are yearly limits on purchasing/gifting MP miles?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:01 pm
DavisCalifJr

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
Question What are yearly limits on purchasing/gifting MP miles?

Some easy questions, but I haven't found the answers after searching FT..Any help is appreciated!

I know I can purchase up to 100k miles for myself each year with MP. However, my Mom (who moved in with me after Dad passed), has offered to gift me miles as well. So what are the limits on this with MP? Can she gift me 100k per year in addition to the 100k I usually buy (when they are 40% off of course!) for a total of 200k per year? How does that work?

Also, she can book award flights for me in my name, but is it better for her to gift me the miles to my account or does it matter?

The goal is to follow UA's rules so there are no problems or chance of either one of us getting our accounts closed so we want to follow the rules! My Mom doesn't fly anymore, but knows I enjoy traveling and this is a great way for her to indulge me for future international trips in the front of the plane when I take breaks a couple of times a year from taking care of her 24/7 (I'm retired and she's 77 yrs old). Any tips or suggestions? What would you do in this situation since if she passes (I swear she will live longer than me though!) then the points in her account will be lost..So I'm trying to figure this out