FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hey, thanks for trying to keep it civil here. . .
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:28 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
^This my travel is on my dime.
There is certainly some value in the Choice program for sophisticated travellers who don't always need 4-star hotels. I get my points from the annual Daily Getaways promo (which is sadly being swamped by folks who don't actually want to stay at Choice hotels), and it works well for me at that price point.

Of course, Choice isn't really catering to "sophisticated" travellers. If they were, breakfast would certainly be better! But I'm happy enough glomming on to the "middle America" crowd who thinks a waffle machine makes a good meal.

Because the fact remains that Choice generally delivers what I need when I crash at their properties: a clean, decent room, and free amenities that I use (internet, breakfast, phone, etc.). I generally save the fancy, expensive chains for when the hotel property is an integral part of the trip (like to a resort). Because, honestly, do you need a 4-star hotel at an airport when you arrive at 10 pm and are leaving at 8? And when you're visiting a European city and won't be doing anything at the hotel except sleeping? I just can't see blowing a lot more money on a hotel room where I can't even get breakfast downstairs at a price I'm willing to pay.

Of course, without Tripadvisor, I probably couldn't use this chain because, sadly, a high percentage of their properties are sketchy and I need a pretty reliable system for avoiding those places.