FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discuss your meal options here
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:40 am
SeeBuyFly

Originally Posted by conde
True, I'm sure there will likely one entree from the main menu that seems appetizing. I am not bent on having food that is kosher or halal; just no swine. I would be open to trying other special menu types as well. However reading from listed menus, bacon in corn chowder, ham in salad, anyone's guess to how the dim sum is prepared... I thought that maybe an alternative menu might seem more appealing to my tastes. I have never ordered a special meal for a flight before. I have not tried the food in Cathay Pacific's F cabin before, however I thought the food in J was underwhelming. In all likelihood, I will probably not order a special meal, but would like to consider alternate options.
Pork is very popular in Asia (*), and ordering a kosher or halal meal is the only reliable way to ensure that you have no pork. You can't reasonably say "I don't want a salt-free/gluten-free/low-fat special meal but I want salt-free /gluten-free/low-fat items from the regular menu", etc. That's what the special meals are for.

Since you said you will mix meat and milk products, a halal special meal would be a better fit.

(*) and elsewhere...I once had an excellent pork chop in the city of Tiberias.