FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:28 am
alesfo

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I expect that Italy is exempt because of the Alitalia relationship - so at least we know Alitalia aren't going to introduce bag fees in the near future.
I susupect that's because it would be very hard to implement, at least for now. When I fly AMS-LIN I sometimes have a KL ticket, but more often AZ. Indeed AZ tickets cost exactly the same, if not less and are more convenient (due to promotions, no credit card fee, and in my particular case special fares for young people).

It's not clear to me whether the new rules are for KL-ticketed iteneraries or for itineraries on KL metal, but in any case:

If the rule is based on the ticketing carrier, then it seem that with a skyteam non-KL ticket I should be always able to check a second bag. The net effect of this asymmetry would be that people just start to systematically buy their tickets via AZ rather than KL and fly in codeshare.

If on the other hand they were to enforce the rule based on the operating carrier, again people will try to fly AZ metal, just in case. Not to mention that occasionally AZ operates flights that were originally supposed to be KL-operated (happened to me a couple of times in the last few months).

So either they manage to change the general skyteam policy for KL and AZ, or they would have a hard time making this work on flights to Italy, at least to LIN and FCO where there are plenty of codeshare options.