FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Proposal: This House believes WE NEED MORE MILES! So why is this forum public?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:40 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by neuro0
Because FT is here to make money from advertisements. The more traffic it can get, the better.
TB has never taken that into consideration when making decisions & so far IB hasn't interfered w/ TB.

Originally Posted by kipper
To gain access to OMNI, one must not only have 180 posts, but must have been a member for at least 180 days. That's an average of 1 post/day, which isn't a lot.

At least a few of the bloggers whom you seem to dislike are long-term, contributing FT members, so restricting the forum may not do that much to eliminate this information being posted on blogs.

New members being "'known & trustworthy' (through long-time membership and contributions to the board)" means that you'd exclude new members. How can a new member have long-time membership to the board?
Agree.

Originally Posted by Stubtify
Login access stops who from seeing things?

Bloggers? No.
Corporate watchdogs? No.
Newbies? Well... maybe, but they can just go to the blogger for their info.

You have to assume with FT being around for so long that all the big names (chase, Amex...) all have someone who has a FT account.
Agree. And don't forget CNN, etc. There are a myriad of ways to find out info/deals, with FT just being one of them. I'm also not that supportive of it's ok for me to know about the deal, but not others train of thought.

Originally Posted by ScottC
Anyone that thinks that locking it down will stop companies from just posting a bunch so they can get in is nuts. Any company interested enough in what happens here will get in the forum.
Agree.

Originally Posted by tom911
One parameter you should consider is the lack of Talk Board members posting to support your position. Those are the folks you need to win over.
Can't speak for other TB members, but I'm not supportive of this motion.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Nonsense and I for one am glad you shared it. Beyond the nuts & bolts of fact driven answers to some questions the bulk of interactions here on FT are subjective and opinion driven and in that regard all of our opinions carry the same weight.
Agree.

Cheers.