FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hey, thanks for trying to keep it civil here. . .
Old Feb 16, 2013, 3:41 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Melding with the DYKWIA part of this thread and the atmosphere at hotels far above the demographic Choice wants is today's post from Ric Garrido:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...problem-is-me/

I had never thought this through before, and while ignoring the cost of all the little things for which luxury hotels charge (hard to ignore, I know, because by the end of a stay, those costs may be substantial), I recognized myself in his comments about his reactions to the atmosphere itself, especially when I'm traveling solo. The multitude of staff really means that I won't be left alone when I get back to my hotel, but I generally don't want or need that attention--just let me get to my room. On the other hand, I think I probably have slightly less of that feeling when I'm traveling with someone else, whether a girlfriend or work colleagues.

Could it be that I like the recognition when there's someone else around to see that I'm getting it? In other words, is there a bit of DYKWIA in me that I don't like to acknowledge?