FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Terminal 5D could have US pre clearance according to fellow passenger
Old Feb 16, 2013, 1:33 pm
flyingcrazy
Suspended

Terminal 5D could have US pre clearance according to fellow passenger

Today I was returning to ABZ on the shuttle and sat next to a gentlemen who claimed to have 'insider' knowledge but didnt specify.
He said Terminal 5D is planned but part of its plans are dependent on ongoing UK-US negotiations over US pre clearance at British airports. Apparently an idea for 5D is for it to be the base of BA flights to the US and would be designed with state of the art US customs and immigration procedures. The custom facilities could be the like the ones at DUB whereby if a US customs officer wishes to search a specific bag he/she will press a button and the bag will be hauled off for inspection.
This makes a lot of sense as T5D could be designed with the space and the facilities for US pre clearance without having to force pre clearance into other parts of LHR.
I am guessing BA would constribute to the cost as it would be them who would benefit from this.

This left me wondering if AA/US will also move into T5D and if the new Terminal 2 could be planning such a thing (T2's opening has been delayed perhaps for this reason).

Nothing is official or confirmed just a man who could have been making all this up but seems sincere told me this and it made sense.

Thoughts?