FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hey, thanks for trying to keep it civil here. . .
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:16 am
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Ispolkom
It's also helped by the nature of the program. Who's going to complain about an excess of Choice Privileges elites diluting elite benefits, when (other than the longer window for booking award rooms), there are very few?

I blame this forum, though, for my reaction when Mrs. Ispolkom said that we should go to Scandinavia. My very first thought was: isn't that a great place for great values on Choice Hotels?
True about that--I've only been recognized as an elite once despite evidence that this must matter to someone within Choice or at individual properties because every survey about a stay I've ever gotten includes a question about whether I was recognized as an elite upon check-in.

I would say, however, that the chances are very good that there is a correlation between Choice's lack of elite benefits and the type of folks attracted to the program. If you're looking for value (and as you've noted, some great redemptions), you're probably not going to sweat whether a hotel has a bottle of water waiting for you when you get to your room. And I have to laugh a bit about getting free wifi and breakfast as a Gold at Hiltons when everybody gets that at most Choice properties--although I will admit that the full breakfast I've received at some Hilton properties beats the pants off anything I've seen at most Choice hotels.