FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:06 am
ExpatExp

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
to get government support, AA-US should ask for DCA-LCY.
(on AA-US metal, as well as jointly on BA metal)
I think that would be fantastic result of the merger, but would the Babybus (or a similar aircraft) have the range? My regular meetings in downtown DC would suddenly be a lot more appealing! Now if only I could expense the connecting flight from EGLW…

Originally Posted by dcpatti
DCA does not have the immigrations facilities and while there can be pre-clearance done by stopping somewhere along the way, that blows the whole time/convenience factor of a nonstop right out of the water.
Not quite. BA has been doing just that since 29 September 2009, with a stop at SNN for refueling and pre-clearance on the all-J LCY to JFK route.

LCY isn't a bad airport but why go there when you can go to IAD and have a true nonstop flight?
Many London-bound travelers head to Canary Wharf, so LCY would be their preferred airport, rather than LHR, LGW, STN or LTN. And since the eastbound flights are also "true nonstops", the time savings is significant compared to a landing at LHR or LGW followed by a taxi or subway/train ride. Many people would argue that, even including the brief stop for pre-clearance, the westbound flights are also time-saving, because they eliminate the need to go through immigration at JFK (which can take a very long time for foreign citizens, whereas the process at SNN is very quick).

As for WAS, passengers heading to downtown DC from LCY would likely experience a quicker door-to-door journey than those taking a traditional nonstop, due to the expeditied immigration process in SNN, the lack of a commute to LHR/LGW, and the lack of the long drive from IAD.

LHR sucks, but so does having to land, go through Immigration, then board and take off again. Might work on the outbound, not sure what facilitaties LCY has for International arrivals, but won't work on the return.
The BA pre-clearance process at SNN is quick and efficient. And as for the return to the UK, a quick search would show that LCY, as a major European business destination, has full immigration facilities. These facilities already handle the two daily nonstops from JFK, as well as flights from all over Europe @:-)

But, back on topic: Yes, if the merger led to a LCY-DCA service, I'd be thrilled!

Last edited by ExpatExp; Feb 16, 2013 at 7:22 am Reason: Added link to BA CWLCY service.