FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:58 am
exbayern

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
That's also nonsense. You don't have to fake an injury to opt-out and you don't have to demonstrate that you can't "assume the position".

I'm really surprised so many are making such a big deal about "medically" opting out. All you have to say is "I'm opting out." End of story. You don't have to give a reason.

Once you get to the "pat-down" AKA grope then explain any issues you have when they ask "Do you have any medical devices? Do you have any sensitive areas? etc."

It's not that complicated.

and ... I just completed opt-out #97 today at PIT without issue.

... Just counting the days until I get my Global Entry / TSA Precheck card and I can be done with opt-out pat-downs and gropes.
Because some of us here really DO have a medical reason why we cannot use the scanner. And some TSOs like to punish opt-outs, apparently.

Have you ever had an opt-out patdown with a medical condition? I have, many times. Highlighting sensitive areas often invites more scrutiny or pressure.

I'm frankly very concerned that the comments on various threads with winks etc will lead to changes from TSA because they will catch on one day that the number of people claiming to have shoulder issues may be overstated, and that would result in a worse situation for those of us who do have a medical reason for being unable to use the scanner.