FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:32 pm
dcpatti

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The line in the email that worries me is 'in the meantime existing miles will continue to be honoured'. It almost sounds like existing miles won't be honoured at sometime in the future.

But if I read that with the FAQ is seems as though even existing miles will be honoured in the future - they'll just be mergerded somehow right? And I'm worried about nothing??
Well at some point, what we currently refer to as "US miles" will indeed go away. But they will have been replaced by a more or less equal number of "AA miles" or some weird hybrid FF program name, and "US Dividend Miles" will no longer exist.

Of course the powers that be could always decide to reset EVERYONE'S miles to 0 and wipe out any existing balances, but that would be very bad for business. You would have a mass exodus of travelers who have already proven themselves loyal, and they would abandon ship and never look back.

The existence of my miles is one of the things I feel pretty un-worried about. Yes there will be devaluation at some point in the future, maybe as part of the merger, maybe not. But gone to zero? Highly unlikely unless the combined carrier wants to start all over with a purely kettle customer base.