FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:43 pm
Turanga

My partner and I are going to be in Iceland for 6 days next month. So, here's my two cents coming from my post-research, pre-arrival stance:

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Car hire is pricey.
It really is if you're visiting during the winter or want to drive into icy areas (e.g. glaciers). I rented a 4x4 for two days through SADCards and they gave me the cheapest quote of $83.50/day. But! I'm the do-your-own tour type, so I took the plunge and mapped out the specific geological wonders I'm interested in.

Also, I heard the Blue Lagoon is pretty nasty if you look into the water (think thousands of tourists and their body hairs coalescing in water all day...). Many locals suggest visitors to stop by one of the many local thermal pools all around Iceland or a hot spring. This is an awesome link that lists all the swimming holes in Iceland.

I'm prepping for a full itinerary on my blog, but it's not quite ready. If you want to get some inspiration for destinations, I have mostly completed a Google map that has most points of interests I want to hit when I'm personally there.