FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:14 pm
dtremit

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
FFs look at programs very differently based upon their needs. As an EXP that flys almost domestic I'm more concerned about things like full meal service going away on flights less than 3.5 hours or the ability to maintain unlimited, space available complimentary upgrades for EXPs.
I think the 3.5 hour meal rule has as much to do with the location of US' hubs as it does penny pinching (of which there is admittedly some). If you look at the distribution curve of US segment lengths, they tend towards the very long and very short -- and many of the ones in the middle are lower-yielding destinations in the middle of the country. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess the rule will be something more like 2.5 hours in a combined system (though I wouldn't bet much).

As for the unlimited upgrades -- I'm not sure why people are concerned that merging a carrier that offers top-level elites unlimited upgrades with a carrier that offers all elites unlimited upgrades would result in the elimination of unlimited upgrades. The industry trend in the US has been pretty universally toward that system; I'd be very surprised if it were rolled back.