FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:12 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by andypandy
I regularly fly Ryanair for business. and they are perfectly OK.
I don't fly Ryanair regularly any more. My last FR flight was in 2008. I was a regular in the late 90s/early 2000s, though, and they've become worse since my Ryanair heyday (when you really could travel from Ireland to Luton/Stansted for £1, and then end up paying 20 times that amount just to get into London!!!)

Where Ryanair is better:

- seats don't recline
- (sometimes) cheaper prices. (But prices mount quickly if you check a bag, or break any of their well-publicised cardinal rules!!!)
- buy on board. If you want to eat something, you can actually buy something you might like.

However - you can generally do this anyway yourself, bringing something from home, or from an airport store, and pay less - so that's not much of a plus.

Where Ryanair is worse:

- no seat pocket in the seat in front
- no assigned seating
- constant hard sell. Scratch cards/bus tickets/etc etc
- no customer handling in case of irrops (I know you say they are punctual, but on my last flight, the plane that was due to take us from EIN didn't even arrive until over 2 hours after the scheduled departure time. There was no information, and we were kept crowded in a tiny area with no facilities, though they did allow those who needed to to exit but hey had to go past the border check (if not also security) again.
- far more "gotchas!", particularly for inexperienced flyers (i.e. €60 boarding card issuing fee, if you forget/don't realise you need a properly printed boarding pass before you come to the airport)

Ryanair are fine if you know what you're letting yourself in for, and if they flew from AMS or RTM I might even have flown with them in the past 5 years. But they are not truly comparable with KLM.