FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:26 pm
Infinion

ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

This might need to be moved, but I couldn't find a better place.

Trying to stay short:

Flight from Ireland back to US was delayed big time and resulted in several violations of EC 261/2004. Travel for 2 pax.

Contacted AA via online form. Within 2 weeks, received $500 travel vouchers for both tickets. Sent another message politely requesting they honor EC 261/2004, and send another $283 voucher (the difference to 600EUR). About another 2 weeks later, got $400 vouchers for both tickets. This all happened within October, and I considered it resolved. I got back more than the laws say, and more than the original ticket price in vouchers.

Before I heard anything back from AA, I also sent an online complaint to Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) in Ireland outlining the issue. I never heard anything back from that except the form auto-notify email. This might be important, keep reading.

Fast forward to today. I get an email from customer service, with the same name that was contained on all the voucher stuff that says:

Thank you for contacting American AirlinesCustomer Relations once again.
As you have correctly identified, you will be entitled to cash compensation of 600EUR. However, in order for us to process this payment, we will require the following information:
* Bank Name and Address
* Bank Account Number and Type
* Bank Sort Code
* Bank IBAN code
* Bank BIC/SWIFT code
Once you have provided this information, we would be able to finalize the payment of this claim.
*Infinion*, we apologize once more for the difficulties you experienced and look forward to a speedy resolution of this claim.

Has the normal from email address, name, all the tracking numbers and such, and the info about not replying to the email.

I find it hard to believe that they really want my bank numbers to do a refund. But, the only realistic way I have to respond is to go through the online form again and reference this, but I don't think I'm going to put my bank account numbers in there... They could send me a check, right?

Being paranoid, I changed all my passwords and I forwarded the message to [email protected] per the AA phishing page to see if they would verify authenticity.

If this is real, that means I stand to get back $900 vouchers on a <$750 ticket, plus 600EUR? Think I'll get back another 600EUR on the other ticket too? Has to be a mistake right? Or did CAR finally look at my complaint and tell AA they owed me cash?

Any thoughts? Anyone heard of something like that? Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 27, 2015 at 9:10 am Reason: Restore original post title