FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NY winter storm
Thread: NY winter storm
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:10 pm
halfcape

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Well downtown ACK is under freezing water near the harbour http://www.ack.net/blizzard-2013.html I'm told the power is out in Madaket and a few other places. Snow on the island is wet and is probably freezing to power lines which are then weighed down to breaking point and that won't help the power stay on. National Grid again sent trucks and crews to the island ahead of the storm so that they can fix the damage without waiting for the ferries to restart. Next tide does not look good hope there is still a beach in Madaket .

I did once have a desire to spend a winter on the island but I've revised that in the last twelve months for obvious reasons. If you're safe indoors best advice is to stay there, and please try and stay safe everyone. ^
That flooding looks awful. Hopefully it won't happen again on the next tide. It is still pretty nasty here. Still snowing and blowing. Then the sun tries to peek out. I went up once to look at my car and decided to leave it for later. Not going any place for quite a while anyway!

There are still 155,000 people without power. That is out of 197,000 people on the Cape. That is a lot of people. I feel really badly for everyone but am happy to have power and hope it stays on.

Don't give up on a winter on the Island, you might like it.

Last edited by halfcape; Feb 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm