FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NY winter storm
Thread: NY winter storm
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:10 am
Jimmie76
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by halfcape
I know it sounded pretty stupid. We usually go out for a short walk during snow storms but didn't really account for the wind and the weight of the snow on the trees. Staying in now until it is time to shovel out the cars.
Well downtown ACK is under freezing water near the harbour http://www.ack.net/blizzard-2013.html I'm told the power is out in Madaket and a few other places. Snow on the island is wet and is probably freezing to power lines which are then weighed down to breaking point and that won't help the power stay on. National Grid again sent trucks and crews to the island ahead of the storm so that they can fix the damage without waiting for the ferries to restart. Next tide does not look good hope there is still a beach in Madaket .

I did once have a desire to spend a winter on the island but I've revised that in the last twelve months for obvious reasons. If you're safe indoors best advice is to stay there, and please try and stay safe everyone. ^