FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:26 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Ok, I admit I'm not a Road Warrior, and don't know all the ins and outs like most of you do, so forgive this admittedly STOOPID question. If I upgrade, AT POINT OF SALE, on an MVP bucket, and I'm given a seat in F some 11 months in advance of my flight...you're all saying that I am NOT considered to be in F? That a schedule change, etc., will have me bumped back to Y?

I'm very surprised by that.
You aren't booked in paid F, you are U. Yes, you are in the F cabin for that flight but your fare is coded as U. I know there are other fare codes as well but the experts can correct/expand on this. But for example, if they decided to cancel the non stop service on your route next month, they would reroute you via another city. Or if your particular flight were cancelled that day for whatever reason, they would again reroute you. In either case, your upgrade is not guaranteed and you would lose it. If you were still MVP and if there was U space and if there were no other similarly affected passengers with higher status, you could get that upgrade again. If not, you only paid for Y so that's what they would accommodate you in. Just 2 examples.