FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:24 am
michael_v

Originally Posted by Duke777
I used to fly DL exclusively a few years ago, so I have quite a few SkyPesos left over. I now fly UA as I'm based out of WAS. I've been dreading using my SkyPesos, but managed a minor miracle.

I was searching for WAS-AMS-WAS award flights over President's Day Weekend. I was prepared to pay 95k miles for a one-stop departure and non-stop return. Unsurprisingly, DL eventually showed 130K miles in Y as the best option. The calendar showed the departure date at the "high level" and the return showed "low" available. I logged out and used a new browser where I was able to capture the 95k rate. I decided to search by schedule to look at more than the 12 random options DL presented me. IAD-AMS-IAD nonstop on KLM showed 60k miles rather than the 95k less-attractive options. I checked the return and saw J was available on KLM.

Somehow I ended up spending only 80K for nonstops on KLM both ways with J on the return leg when I was prepared to part with 95k SkyPesos in Y for a less convenient routing.

Moral of the story, DL's award search is criminal (as we all know). UA is MUCH MUCH MUCH better for award redemption (with the occasional phantom F availability on other * partners). I somehow lucked out finding minimum redemption levels in under an hour of searching. Yes, it's AMS during February, but it fit what I needed, especially when revenue tickets are close to $1K. I even have 100k miles left. Perhaps I will strike gold twice.
I guess the most shocking part of this story is that you found KLM flights that did not "sell out".