FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time to stop seats having the ability to recline?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:01 pm
ColdWalker

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Um, no, I don't agree. If you want to gain the lost space back, simply recline your own seat
unfortunately it doesn't work. Because your knees are attached to your backside via your thigh bone your knees remain in the same place when your seat pivots just behind the bum. If, like me the place where you knees are happens to be just below the tray table then when the person in front reclines then your table won't go down. More importantly it becomes difficult (impossible on some airlines like CA domestic) to remain seated with your legs out forward. So you have to shuffle into a sideways position and put your legs in the aisle, or in our neighbours space.

In hundreds of flights I have yet to meet anyone, any single person, who has even checked how big the person behind them is, let alone ask if I mind! I'm totally fed up with airlines allowing one person to make several people behind them totally uncomfortable for negligible benefit for the person in front. On one occasion the recline was so severe I ended up with a knee injury that too took nearly 4 months to sort out.