FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time to stop seats having the ability to recline?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:44 am
lighting

Time to stop seats having the ability to recline?

Ok, admittedly a bit of a rant.

I flew to Sofia in Club Europe from Heathrow on Sunday morning and returned today. On both flights the person in front reclined their seat fully, for pretty much the entire duration of the flight. This had a seriously negative impact on my comfort and journey, particularly when food and drink was involved. On my outbound flight, i was eating my breakfast when, after he had clearly finished his, the 'gentleman' in front suddenly and abruptly recline his seat causing me to spill food on my lap and knock my orange all over my tray. He turned around and said a very unapologetic sorry and went to sleep. Pretty similar experience on my return flight today, although no spillage, i just didn't have enough room to enjoy my flight and have some space to do some work and watch a film.

When the seat in front of you is reclined, you get very little space, even in club europe. It's incredibly frustrating and annoying. When the seats are upright or only marginally recline, the space is decent. On both my flights i would have had more space with which to work, eat and watch a film in an economy seat with the seat in front up right.

Personally, i do not recline my seat on a plane, coach or anything other mode of transport if there is someone behind me and it will impact on their journey. I find it incredibly rude and selfish. Now i know if the seats recline then a passenger has the right to use this facility. I learnt many moons ago that to expect a basic level of manners, respect and decency from other human beings is far too much to ask, so maybe it's time that BA simply removes the ability to recline a seat in all cabins on short journeys which will annoy a few selfish and rude people and benefit the vast majority?

Thoughts?

Will end this by saying my sweet and sour seafood thingy ma bob and rice on the return flight was excellent as was the cabin crew member [name removed].

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 5, 2013 at 11:51 am Reason: Name removed