FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spending Christmas and New Year in Paradise: LH,EK,BA(F);TG,SQ(C); Conrad Maldives
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:05 am
calvinoeh

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Bangkok to Male via Singapore

We arrived at the airport about 3 hours before our noon flight to Singapore and proceeded directly to the Royal Silk/Business Class check in area. I've flow through and from Bangkok numerous times before but this would be our first time flying out of Bangkok on Thai's business class. Thai has a pretty neat setup for their business class check in counters with beach umbrellas and stools giving the check-in area a "beach look".

Our agent quickly checked us in and tagged our bags all the way to Male. I tried to get the first class seats on the Airbus 346 operating flight today but was told that section was closed. (I did notice some VIP looking folks in that section when we deplaned in Singapore). Before heading airside, we got ourselves an hour long foot reflexology. There are the same shop airside but 30% more expensive!

Thai Royal Silk Check-In counters

By the time we got done with the foot reflexology and cleared immigration and security, it was only thirty minutes before departure. Since we were on a gate on the opposite side of the Thai Spa lounge, we decided to just skip the complimentary 30 minute massages provided to Thai business class passengers and head to a nearby Royal Orchid lounge for some drinks instead.

The Airbus 346 taking us to Singapore

We were seated in the second business class section and for a moment we thought we would be the only ones in that section.

We once again went with the Asian options for lunch on this flight. I opted for a Thai red curry while Lydia decided on a fried rice and fish dish.

We had a five hour layover in Singapore. We could have gone into town but decided to stay at the airport since we didn't want to deal with the heat and humidity. Instead we headed to one of my favorite secrets at Changi Airport - the worker's food court/canteen for some Singaporean food at much lower prices than the other shops at the airport. Each of the three terminals has this food court and is actually meant for the workers at Changi airport but will serve the public. We chose the one at Terminal 2 this time since they were the only ones with fried hokkien mee. In addition, I ordered a yummy creamy Singaporean Laksa.

Read more >>