FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:55 pm
Fredd

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
...The law does not enforce moral obligations--only legal ones...

....I expect the court will fund that those who had actually earned Million Miler before the changes took place are entitled to retain those benefits, but those who had not were not vested (i.e., had not actually earned the benefits yet) and United was free to change the terms of the contract as to them...
^ Thanks for your reasoned legal analysis, pro bono at that.

Sometimes individuals, companies, or governments can make work an expedient decision based on "what we can get away with." While celebrating my FT friend ua1flyer's 10 million miles, they insulted many loyal-by-definition customers who have each flown at least 10% of Tom's total. A judge has now ruled it's at least "plausible" they could have breached a contract with us. Ironies abound and UA has created a PR disaster of its own making.

I thought from the outset that UA could have achieved a PR coup and some significant revenue by challenging those close to the threshold to achieve it within a specified period of time. I hope UA comes to understand it's in the company's best interests to make amends to those like me who reached one million miles, and also to those who were within a reasonable distance of the million-mile threshold.